News media paid promotional programs
When multiple subscriptions/single-copy sales to the same newspaper are sold together, all subscriptions are eligible as paid home delivery/single-copy sales if the following requirements are met:
- Promotional materials state the subscription term, frequency and quantity of subscriptions.
- For single-copy sales, all issues are current (no back copies).
- The purchase price is at least one cent, net of considerations, per subscription/single-copy sale.
- The consumer is presented with the option to purchase only a single subscription/single copy.
- The price of the single subscription/single copy is lower than the bundled price by at least one cent (per subscription/single copy removed from the sale).
- None of the subscriptions/single-copy sales are stated or implied as free, no additional cost, complimentary or other synonymous language.
- Copies presented or implied as free are only eligible as qualified distribution.
- Back copies are not eligible for inclusion as paid circulation. An issue of a newspaper becomes a back copy when the following corresponding day’s newspaper becomes available for sale (i.e., Monday issue stays current until the following Monday’s newspaper is available for sale, a Tuesday issue stays current until the following Tuesday’s newspaper is available for sale, etc.).
Example: Multi-Copy Subscription Example
No more sharing!
Example: Multi-Copy Single-Copy Sale Example
Double the coupons and double the comics. Why share when you can get a copy for each of you! Get 2 copies of today's Sunday Illinois Today for only $1.25! *
*A single issue of the newspaper is available for $1.00.