News media paid promotional programs
Subscriptions purchased with award points, in lieu of cash, are acceptable as paid individual subscriptions if the following requirements defining the reward program are met:
- Subscriber enrolls. Automatic enrollment is not sufficient.
- The program clearly states how many points may be earned.
- The purchaser is provided with alternative purchase options and is required to take an overt action to redeem the points.
- Points are earned from specific incremental actions communicated to and performed by the consumer. The volume of points earned for each activity must be clearly communicated.
- The subscription purchase price, when converted to dollars, is at least one cent, net of considerations. To calculate the subscription purchase price, multiply the per-point value.