Highlights and quick tips to navigate the news media filing tool.
Filing Due Dates
If the due date falls on a weekend day, then data is due the following business day.
|Filing Period||Due Date||Notes|
|Six months ending March 31 - Detailed reporting (Six-month distribution averages, basic prices, and explanatories)||
Dailies - April 15Weeklies/CNA – April 20
|U.S. only: Also includes March quarterly ZIP code data.|
|June quarter ZIP codes (U.S. only)||
Dailies - July 15Weeklies/CNA – July 20
|Includes ZIP code and total quarterly average for print and digital.|
|Six months ending September 30 - Detailed reporting (Six-month distribution averages, basic prices, and explanatories)||
Dailies - Oct 15Weeklies/CNA – Oct 20
|U.S. only: Also includes September quarterly ZIP code data.|
|December quarter ZIP codes (U.S. only)||
Dailies - Jan 15Weeklies/CNA – Jan 20
|Includes ZIP code and total quarterly average for print and digital.|
Accessing AAM's News Media Filing Tool
At auditedmedia.com, click Log In , select Publisher Filing Center and enter your publication’s log in credentials. Once you have logged into the Publisher Filing Center, select File Circulation Claims from the right-hand menu.
- When entering your member number, do not include the initial “0” or dashes. For example, if your member number is 01-234-56, please enter 123456.
- If you have questions or cannot remember your password, please contact AAM at 224-366-6339.
Navigation Short Cuts
Save Commands: The Save and Save and Continue buttons are located at the bottom of each page in the filing tool.
Tab Key/Mouse: Use your Tab key or mouse (not the Enter key) to navigate to the next field.
: Deletes a field or row.
: Adds a field or row.
: Provides a calendar interface to select dates
Sections of the News Media Filing Tool
The four sections of the filing tool include: Filing Questionnaire, Enter Circulation Data, ZIP code (Para 3 - U.S. only) and Review & Submit.
Section 1: Filing Questionnaire
This section includes your publishing plan and contact information. It must be completed first, as the information you enter here informs the other sections.
Provides a preview of the filing tool and links to helpful resources.
In the survey section you declare the following:
- Circulation types (i.e., print, digital replica, digital nonreplica)
- Contact information
- General publishing plan
- Only the checked categories display in the applicable filing tool sections.
- The contact information is prepopulated based on your previous filing.
- Check the box confirming contact information.
c. MAIN/AFFILIATED EDITION PUBLISHING PLAN
Review the following for both the main edition and any applicable affiliated publications:
- Reporting averages dates: The default settings that prepopulate the calendar dates reflect AAM’s standard six-month reporting period. If you plan to use a financial period (also known as a 4-4-5 schedule), please modify the dates. Do not skip or double count any dates from other news media statements that have been previously submitted to AAM.
- Publishing plan (frequencies): The frequency of your publication is prepopulated based on your previous circulation data submissions to AAM. To change your publishing frequency, please contact AAM.
- Nonpublishing days: Indicate the days when your newspaper did not publish a print edition during the reporting period.
- Omitted days: Indicate the days your newspaper published a print edition but would prefer to have excluded from AAM reporting. Refer to AAM Rule C 2.4/C 102.4 Days Omitted from Averages for requirements.
- Click the calendar icon to change the reporting start or end date.
- Click the plus icon and use the calendar icon to add nonpublishing/omitted day(s).
- Please contact AAM if your publishing plan frequencies for either the main edition or affiliated publications have changed.
d. AFFILIATED PUB PLAN (OPTIONAL)
If you would like to report affiliated publication(s), please contact AAM for the initial set up. Once you start reporting affiliated publications with AAM, you may use the Affiliated Pub Plan section to enter the six-month date range, nonpublishing and omitted days for your applicable affiliated publication(s). If you are not claiming any affiliated publications, skip to the Reconciliation of Days section.
Affiliated Publication FAQs
Q: What is an affiliated publication?
A: Any print or digital publication, newspaper or magazine owned and operated by an AAM member. This may include community or foreign language newspapers, market coverage products or magazines.
Q: May I add a new affiliated publication?
A: Yes, and we encourage you to do so. Prior to reporting an affiliated publication for the first time, contact AAM to go over the reporting and auditing details.
Q: What is the cost to add an affiliated publication?
A: The cost of adding affiliated publications varies by title. Contact AAM for a quote.
e. RECONCILIATION OF DAYS
This section is calculated for you and is for your review only. Click on the publication name to expand the reconciliation of days section for review. If the reconciliation of days does not agree with your circulation records, go back to the Main Edition/Affiliated Pub Plan sections to revise.
Section 2: Enter Circulation Data
This section is for reporting your circulation claims for the statement period by distribution type and frequency, as well as basic prices and general explanatory.
a. CIRCULATION DATA
Enter your circulation claims by distribution type per frequency for your main edition as well as any applicable affilated publications.
Note: As part of the news media simplification initiative, the reporting of both U.S. and Canada distribution categories have been aligned effective with the September 2021 period.
- Report net (returns deducted from single-copy sales) circulation, not averages. The tool will automatically calculate averages.
- If the data entry section is missing or appears in error, go back to the Survey section and revise your responses.
- Click Show Totals to view subtotals.
b. BASIC PRICES
The Basic Prices section reports single-copy prices only.
The following items will be reported in the Explanatory section:
- Applicable nonpublishing days
- Applicable omitted days
- Other applicable general explanatories (choose in the drop-down menu in this section)
Nonpublishing/omitted days are prepopulated based on the entries made in the Survey section.
- Click Add Explanatory to view the different options.
Section 3: ZIP Code (Paragraph 3) - (Filed every quarter by U.S. news media only)
This section is where you will file your ZIP code data analysis for a representative day (Monday - Friday) and Sunday (Saturday optional) within the reporting period for the main edition and any applicable affiliated publications.
a. ADD/MODIFY (Starting/editing ZIP code reporting)
Either select your paragraph 3 dates or edit your existing ZIP code data.
- If you are selecting your paragraph 3 dates and completing the survey for the first time, click Add New Paragraph.
- If you have previously entered and saved ZIP code data for this reporting period, select Edit to make revisions to the data.
- Date(s) chosen should be within the quarter period.
- You determine which representative daily/Sunday date(s) to use for ZIP code reporting.
- Unless your publication is a Saturday-only publication, selecting a Saturday date is optional.
b. PARAGRAPH 3 SURVEY
Declare the following:
- ZIP code distribution dates
- Pub code
- Circulation reporting categories
- Upload ZIP code file option
- Proration option
The main reporting circulation categories are Total Paid and Total Qualified. (Digital Replica/Nonreplica are reported as total only)
All U.S. publications may prorate ZIP code reporting if the following criteria are met:
- No new circulation categories were added since your last released ZIP code report.
- No new affiliated publications were added since your last released ZIP code report.
- At least one reporting quarter during the audit period has been an actual paragraph 3.
- Use the calendar icon to select the ZIP code reporting dates.
- Pub code may be just the initials of your publication. However, if you plan on uploading a ZIP code file, then the pub code needs to match exactly to the indicated file.
c. CIRCULATION RECORD
Click the Circulation Record tab to report your distribution by applicable Total Paid, Total Qualified, Total Digital Replica and/or Total Digital Nonreplica for the specific ZIP code reporting day.
- ZIP code reporting can include gross sales (returns included).
- The Circulation Record Totals should match the totals in the ZIP code tab and show zero differences.
d. ZIP CODE DATA ENTRY
Click the ZIP Code Data Entry tab to file your distribution by ZIP code for the Par 3 date(s) selected.
- ZIP codes with distribution of fewer then 25 copies can be reported under Miscellaneous ZIP codes
- Digital copies are reported in total only and not by ZIP code.
- If you answered Yes to ‘Do you Want to Prorate?’ in the Paragraph 3 Survey, then click the Calculate Proration button.
- Instead of manually entering your ZIP code data, you can upload your Par 3 ZIP code file. Return to the Survey Questionnaire to upload your file. Note the following upload requirements:
- Par 3 file columns must follow AAM specifications. Click here for specifications.
- Convert to a CSV file prior to uploading.
- Do not include digital editions in the upload file. Manually enter the digital totals in the ZIP Code Data Entry tab.
Note: ZIP codes are prepopulated based on the previously released ZIP code report. You can modify ZIP code(s) by using the insert/delete buttons in the ZIP Code Data Entry tab.
Tip: View this tip sheet featuring the ZIP code data entry area with helpful call outs.
e. ZIP CODE DATA SUBMISSION
Once you have completed and reviewed your paragraph 3 data, select the Ready for Submission button located in the ZIP Code Data Entry tab.
Click on the Export To Excel button at the top of the ZIP Code Data Entry tab to save a copy of the report for your records.
Once you have submitted your ZIP code data, you will need to log back into the filing tool to submit your remaining data.
Section 4: Review and Submit
This area is where you may review your data to ensure that everything is correct and ready for submission to AAM.
a. VIEW ALERTS
View and resolve any errors prior to submission. if any errors exist, an itemized list will appear. Please revisit where the error occurred and revise if necessary.
b. UPLOAD IMAGE
Upload your publication’s logo to appear on the PDF report (optional). Images must be in TIFF or JPEG format.
c. PUBLISHER COMMENTS
You may enter any general comments, questions or specific details relating to your report filing to AAM staff (optional). These comments are for internal purposes only and are not published.
d. VIEW REPORT DATA
Preview your data before submission. If any changes need to be made, return to the applicable section to edit before submission.
- Click the Print Icon to either print or save as a PDF for your records.
e. FINAL STEP SUBMIT
Provide your electronic certification and signature and submit your data to AAM. The ZIP code analysis must be submitted via the ZIP code section of the filing tool. Check the box next to Date Signed to authorize submission then click the blue Submit Publisher's Statement button.
For questions or additional information, please contact AAM .